For advice beyond what has been discussed, I would like some more pond information.
1. How long has the basin had any water in it?
2. What is the current surface size of water in the basin?. abt 1/4ac? 1/2ac, 1ac. 1ac+?
3. Since you are filling from a well with some limited rain what is the water clarity in inches?. How deep can you see a white coffee cup or a Cool Whip lid tacked on the end of a broom stick or a 2x2???? It is best if this can be observed from a dock. A floatee can also work since you have been swimming in the pond. If the water is only about 3 ft deep,,,, how well can you see the bottom in the deepest part? barely see it: can see some bottom stuff; very clear as glass see leaves easily on bottom.
4. "the water temperature is 66 degrees. I bought a bag of very small high protein feed from the fish hatchery".
4a. What brand was the fish food? If you don't know the food brand email the fish farm for the info.
4b. What is the size of the pellets?. mm works or how may 1/16" 1/4" is 4/16".
4c. IF you have a company brand fish food bag what is the protein content of the pellets?.
4d. Do the pellets float or sink? normally very small pellets will sink and sometimes some sink and some float.
4e. How much of this very small fish food did you buy?

Make a fish feeding ring as a circle from 3 cylinder swim floats bent into a circle or make a square 3x3ft, 4x4ft or 5x5ft from 1.5" thin wall pvc. Tether it to shore or weighted a few feet offshore with 1-2 twine& bricks just far enough that you can toss fish food into it. Use this as a feed ring to contain the fish food that you add to the pond. This will help feed train the BG to pellets and the feeding area.

I will return when I get more answers and info.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/27/24 09:34 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management