Originally Posted by Spicelanebass
I looked up some stuff on Lake Dixon and found that August water temps down to 15 feet were at 82.9 degrees above the lethal threshold for trout. I have no idea if Lake Dixon stratifies but it must have O2 at deeper depths to support those trout. I also saw where CDFW were stocking 33,000 pounds of trout into Lake Dixon per year, keep in mind Lake Dixon is only 70 acres. That's a lot of cash which most of us just don't have the means to do.

Spicelane, would you post the reference (web address) stating the 15 foot temperatures? I would like to relate that to the average daily temps of the year. My suspicion is that it was a year of above average temperature. Average daily air temperature for Escondido in July and August is around 76 F, and so in most years the lake could support trout provided the water at and below the thermocline receives sunlight. Above average temps could prohibit survival and this may have happened this year.

Your post caused me to look at more reports. Doesn't look like they are always current. For example, on 09/11/23 they report:

Trout fishing does very well around our stock days, especially since the water temperature is perfect for trout. Even though we have not stocked with trout, anglers have still been catching their trout limit ranging from 6-9 pounds off the buoy line. Chartreuse and Rainbow Garlic power bait usually do really well. Jig baits work as well; anglers prefer the grasshopper color jigs, but there have been reports of anglers catching on other brighter colors as well. Anglers have had much success by using cast masters, mainly pink and blue. The hot spots for catching trout are Whisker Bay, Trout Cove, and the shoreline to the right of the boat dock. Typically, you will see two-five pound trout being caught as the average; nine pounders being the heaviest.

The buoy line is the off-limits line around the dam. It crosses the some of deepest portions of the lake.

However on 09/28/23, just 3 weeks later, they report:

Trout: Trout haven’t been caught since mid-May. The spring turnover lowered the dissolved oxygen levels below what the trout need to flourish, and the heat of summer warmed our waters too much for them as well. With how many trout our anglers pulled out during trout season and the lake becoming uninhabitable, you’ll have to wait until we have our next trout stock, to catch that 10 pounder! Reminder: Trout are limited to 5 per permit and cannot be released after being caught!

Spicelane, OH Ivie has times of draw down. Right now its 28% full according to an online article. Drawdowns reduce standing weights and when refilling takes place there is a lot of forage produced relative to the predator population. That probably contributes to it. South Texas ponds are very productive for large LMB for the same reason. The effect is not limited to Texas. But in Texas, especially where OH Ivie is located, rain comes in fits and starts.

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/29/23 08:09 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers