Originally Posted by Rangersedge
Angie is correct regarding my brown is down comment. Lots of experiences with people shooting exceptional young bucks that would have been true trophies if they'd waited a couple more years. If you just w a nt to shoot a deer, shoot a doe. We have lots. If you want a trophy, let the young ones walk.

Spot on RE, Why cant people grasp that concept? They shoot their biggest nicest herd bull and leave the scrubs to reproduce, and then cant figure out why there are no genetics in the area.
I am pretty lucky in that aspect, together, me and my neighbor have 160 acres, square plot, and he is of the same opinion as me, leave some good bloodlines to reproduce,
Luckily we have another landowner adjoining us, she has like 350 acres and barely allows hunting, I think she lets one guy bow hunt it but he is trophy hunting only, unless its some huge old deer with a unique rack hes not shooting it either. which is pretty great, we have enough area to let some nice ones survive, that being said, we are going to have to thin out some does and young stock, they are getting too thick.

I wish I could find a family that just wants the meat, I could and would sure load them up, we are talking about taking our limit of them to the share the harvest thing that they have here in Mo, they grind them up for the food pantry if you want to donate them.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.