Originally Posted by DrewSh
Try to figure out which hatcheries are actually hatching/growing LMB and not just reselling from other places. I know Jones has a presence in KY, but in my conversations with them in Cincinnati, they seemed disinterested in anything like that. They might be able to help you out.
Recent experience with Jones leads me to think they are more interested in reselling fish they can bring in from other suppliers. I was disappointed this Spring when they stated that they are (probably) no longer going to handle SMB.

Theo - check with Fenders FF in Baltic -Charm area of OH. They have the spawning method worked out and usually manage to produce a few hunderd to a few thousand SMB fingerlings each year. Big shortage of SMB fingerlings fall of 2022. Those produced usually all sell out in Fall. You will have to take a drive to Amish country get them. It is best to place an order early so they can call you when they are available for pick-up in Sept-Oct. .

Cody Note - Yes Smallmouth bass of any size are definitely a premium fish. It is difficult and tricky to get them to dependably spawn and raise any eggs that hatch to fingerling sizes. Fingerlings are almost always sold out each Fall. Then to find juvenile to yearlings is very difficult. Anyone that can produce them should be making some money if they sell them for the SMB true value considering low numbers available each year. This is probably why Jones FF - Cincinnati will not "handle" SMB. IMO this will make SMB even more valuable due to supply and demand.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/24/23 02:00 PM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]