I am interested in trying to raise a trophy bluegill in a tank environment. As such, I am curious to get thoughts on the ideal setup for doing so. I have been researching 3 lb+ state records and of course the past world records to get an idea of the environments these fish come from. That information coupled with what I have learned on this forum tells me pristine/fertile water, low fish densities, access to high quality food sources through all life stages, and maybe genetics, play a key role. I have some questions that I have not found an answer for:

1. Was the world record(or other record) BG male or female? I know conventional wisdom says focus on males for size, but haven't all of the Havasu RES records been females?

2. Any known problem with stunting of bluegill in large tank environments(250 gal+).

Here is my current game plan to grow a trophy in a 250 gal tank:
Already seined 15 bluegill fingerlings from the pond and have them eating aquamax mvp crumbles while I wait for aquamax grower 400 to deliver.
In a month or two, I thin the school based on desirable body characteristics and/or relative body weights. Probably thin to 5 or 6 fish. Repeat thinning until I am left with 1 or 2 with best potential.
Tank to be set up with timed drain valve(sprinkler valve) and float refill valve to automate frequent water changes with good quality well water.
Continue high protein feeding at moderate to heavy rates, probably also with timed feeder.
Possibly insulate tank to keep water at optimal temp for growth year round(85 degrees is what I have read)
Obviously some sort of filtration system, probably with UV filter because I like seeing the fish.

Thoughts on this?

-Jason