Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by anthropic
Does the cooler water temp more than compensate for the lower dissolved oxygen levels?

I do not have a clue!

However, one option is to use some heavier tackle, especially if you are worried about catching a HSB while fishing for your largest LMB.

It is not as sporting, but if you just "horse 'em in", then the HSB cannot turn their heads and make multiple exhausting runs.

P.S. In my neck of the woods, the middle of May is still cool water temps. What are the temps in your main pond now?

Yeah, heavy duty gear isn't my thing -- I prefer ultralight or fly fishing -- but in this case I really should make an exception for the sake of the fish. They are very easy to catch compared with LMB, just toss out a few giant food pellets (I use Optimal Handthrown) to get them going, then attach a hook to another giant pellet with a rubber band. Or, if that seems too unsporting, throw a topwater lure, which is how the pond record was caught.

Now that I think about it, this could be the coolest flyfishing ever! But I need plenty of backing and 15 plus lb tippet.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160