Thanks for the encouragement Ross!
I started this around Dec 12 and we are 35 days in. I have been changing water as it 'ages' and have put them in a plastic coffee filter to allow for some washings. Then back in the plastic containers. They are on the register so there is fast evaporation but I need to somehow keep it warm. The light on a timer is adding photons of light plus heat on the top side.
The documentation online says 4-6 weeks in these conditions. That seems like forever!!

I think I saw my first seed sprout a little green tuft last week and felt more confident as that turned into a split 'frond' and then 3 'fronds' I took that container, washed and filtered with water and then planted in a potting soil mix. I was told the soil needs to be immersed in water with a draining system so the bottom stays wet and the top can be allowed to be damp but dry out. I can't tell seeds from debris when i started out so we'll see if the one sprouted frond establishes better roots and pushes up through the potting soil.

The other container is showing more debris than usual. I almost think the seeds may have pushed off their coatings and roots might be coming but so far they are brown so hard to tell. I want to watch them in water only for another few days and then will put them in a potting soil mix as well.

I think those who bought them off ebay already 1-2 feet tall are way ahead of me, but you do these experiments to learn and to try new things...

IF I can keep even one or two alive and figure out how to transplant to the water's edge and keep them alive for one season that will be a major success for me! I probably will buy some from ebay come spring and plant those as well.