Our south Louisiana HOA has 2 ponds that are about an acre each. They are stormwater ponds, so they collect the runoff through drainage pipes, and they have an overflow pipe that empties into a drainage canal when the water level rises. We are having erosion issues. Our maintenance so far has been to mow to the water edge and pay a pond management company to keep the water clear of plants and algae. We have looked into several methods of fixing the erosion control. Some of those are rip rap, bulkheads, and SOX. Another option that we are looking at is using shoreline and emergent plants to stabilize the shore. When we asked the pond management company about this, he was very much against it. He said he didn't know how he would control the unwanted vegetation without killing the wanted vegetation and has seen major problems when people decide to go this route. Another obstacle to using vegetation stabilization is the "weedy" look. People like the manicured look down to the edge of the water and are worried about snakes. Thoughts on our best course of action?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]