Originally Posted by ArkieJig
I did read the link Theo sent and now remember I had already read about adding alum and even asked a AGFC fisheries biologist about it and he didn't seem to keen on it or at least didn't know if I needed it. I'm definitely going to have to start taking notes and keep a journal on my pond. I'm saying I have suspended clay but don't really know I have done the jar test and the water is a light tea color after 2 weeks it maybe a little clearer but very little sediment. I collected another sample today and took a picture for comparison. I'm going to build a sechi disc so I can track the clarity

Barley straw, not "hay" is what is used to clear turbidity....It often does not work, and adds acid to the water as it decays. FWIW, fish farms are rarly knowlegable pond managers of sportfish ponds, since production ponds are managed in nearly opposite ways than what sportfish ponds need. How old is the pond? Is there obvious bank erosion from wind/wave action? Can it flood or have a chance Bullhead catfish, whit suckers or common carp got in the pond? I have previously cleared 2 muddy ponds in Malvern... one had trash fish, the second had heavy wind/wave action as the causes for turbidity

Last edited by Rainman; 01/06/23 10:19 AM.