I can echo exactly the description of how the MI biologists behave, both in the advice they give based on textbooks that clearly need an update, and how they get very rigid about not wavering from that advice. It is frustrating to know that our state department of natural resources are resistant to the learning process and are not open to new information even if the evidence is pretty strong right in front of them.

Dr. Luke we have waged and lost a similar battle on tilapia in MI. Hopefully if enough pond owners who expect their pond temps to hit 50 or less every winter band together and push at the same time we can make some headway. Even a small trickle through the dirt berm will eventually enlarge and more and more water will pour throgh.

I also feel badly for new MI pond owners who are still told stocking plans that are very heavy on CC and LMB without an adequate forage base.

To be fair, the biologist in MI is about as old as the textbook and I admire the many things he has done and the huge amount of work on his plate (for a pittance of salary I'm sure) so maybe the next generation will change that.