Johnny,

Sorry about taking your thread "off topic". That happens a lot on Pond Boss as people keep asking more questions based on the expert replies to the original post. (I am one of the worst offenders since I am always trying to learn more.)

I am not an expert on protecting steel in the ground, but I have heard some people say NOT to coat it, because of the chance of getting corrosion started behind the coating.

I do know that on very expensive projects with steel in the ground, they frequently utilize a process called "cathodic protection". Basically the good steel acts as a cathode and it is wired to a sacrificial anode. That way the natural galvanic currents in the soil do not result in corrosion of your steel pipe.

I have never read about that being utilized on Pond Boss, but a significant portion of the cost is usually excavating the soil for the anode bed and the wiring. I don't know if it would be feasible on a project your size.

Hopefully, an actual expert will drop into your thread again. Good luck on finishing the work on your "hole in the ground" and turning it into a beautiful pond!