I have several acres of CPR for over 24 yrs on east and west borders of a creek. I had help in the spring planting warm season grasses of switch grass, big and small bluestem and Indian grass. Switch and Indian grass thrives the best. I am not allowed to mow it until early August unless noxious weeds are problematic. The first year I used a special herbicide to reduce weeds because supposedly the new grasses were not real tolerant to 2-4D. Now I use 2-4D as the main herbicide to control weeds mostly thistles. The grasses soon developed dense enough growth that thistles are about the only weeds that persist. A year or two ago Soil& Water and FSA (farm service agency) of USDA promoted or required the planting of milk weeds grown in flower flats for the CRP areas. Probably a wild idea from a government someone behind a desk. I was told they were providing the plants free. I am not sure if this is still an ongoing program. Since then I was not notified to get my plants. I hope the program was a failure. My farmer friend was required to and planted some. HIs all died due to too dry of ground at planting.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/02/22 08:06 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management