Hello everyone, I am very new to ponds, but I have a 1/2 acre pond on a property I bought recently. To make a long story short, the pond was incredibly clear and beautiful from the previous owner, but I have come to learn he used copper sulfate to clean it and I'd rather not use something like that. I did not proactively do anything to the pond this year which was a mistake because the hot Ohio weather the last few days sprouted a small algae bloom on the surface, it is very small compared to the total body of water, my estimate is less than 5% of the surface had this. I only noticed it because the wind blew it all to one corner of the pond.

I have been tryin to educate myself as much as I can on the different types of algae and how harmful they are and what to do to fix them. I believe this is a planktonic algae, and read they can be hazardous. The problem is there are SO MANY pond products out there I don't know what to do. I do not have any kind of aeration, but am looking to add a system maybe next year. Is there a band-aid I can put on this so my fish stay healthy and we can still swim in it until I can put more proper means to keep my pond healthy?

Thank you in advance.

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]
[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Last edited by OhioJon; 07/07/21 02:58 PM. Reason: Adding linked photos in text

40+ year old 1/2 acre pond
Swimming and fishing