My most dangerous cutting was on the back side of the dam. When it was built, nearly 50 years ago, the slope was made very steep on the back side. I cut it a couple of times with my tractor, but it was a heart-in-the-mouth operation getting the tractor back uphill each time. Now, nature has taken its course (nature in Alabama, anyway). I have a solid growth of kudzu on the back side. Trees don't stand a chance, there is no washing, and I never have to cut except at the crown to keep the stuff from creeping across the road.

Maybe there are other natural (well, the stuff is natural where it came from) ground covers which others can use near their water and on steep banks which will allow them to avoid cutting where it is dangerous.

Also, about 80% of my banks are left in woods, a treat for the eye and zero maintenance.

Finally, a bit off topic, let me propound a heresy. I had beavers when I bought the place 13 years ago and have them now. They have never done any damage to anything I cared about and they dam up the feeder streams, catching sediment behind their dams which would otherwise end up on the bottom of the pond. Sometimes the best cure is masterful inaction.
Lou 13.5 acres