I have just Build a new Pond along I-70 Corridor in Central Kansas in the Smoky Hills region. I own 80 acres and my pond is about 5 acres total. Clay and Topsoil bottom-Earthen dam, with about 2.5 acres of deep water and a 2.5 acre wetland of undisturbed soil. I have a 48" drain style tube with 32" pipe outflow system. There are four big holes in the deep end that will have a depth of 18-20 ft with the remaining areas 6-9 foot. The wetland end will be 5 foot to 1 foot. Springs are running (even during our drought right now) and pond is coming up about 8 inches per week at the moment. Watershed is about 300 acres and 90% or more comes off pasture grass. Pond has multiple large and small man-made fish structures made of pallets, Concrete Blocks, Tractor Tires, Scrap Concrete, Concrete Culverts, and Porcupine PVC Balls. It also has many Contours and depth changes. I have added a 60 tire spawning bed area and tires are filled with River Sand and Pea Gravel. Another semi load of sand was spread in about 4 foot of water next to a deep hole on a shelf. Wetland end has natural wetland plants like smartweed and cattails in natural wet soil areas from existing springs. Dam is in the process of being rip-rapped now. There will be a beach area too and I can Imagine some of that sand will be used by fish for spawning too.

Goal: Diverse Specie Fishing Pond That is Balanced. Emphasis on Diverse. It will be well monitored by Fishing and Snorkeling. Harvest will be Based on Populations with slot limits.

I have found this site very informative and in-depth. My plan is to stock and build up large amounts of bait and then introduce my predators the next two years. Most Fish will be Purchased and the others will be caught from other sources (Balanced Private Ponds).

I am looking for some critics to look at my Plan and give some ideas on Initial Populations. Some Fish Farms say 200/ac predators per acre and others 100/ac with 500/ac Panfish. Some recommendations on her are as low as 25/ac My Predators will have little to no reproduction in my pond and I want to have Yellow Perch and Crappies (act like both panfish and predators).

I am most likely going to stick to having these species but with my 5 acre (2.5 acres deep and 2.5 acres shallow) do I base it on 5 acres or 2.5?

I am thinking Panfish (Bigger BG & RES) will have their first year of Reproduction before the predator species are eating them, since predators will be stocked at a small size (less than 5 inches) and most likely be concentrating on minnows the first year.

I love Redears, so they may be a Touch High!!!!

So comment away!

Fatheads 50 lbs Spring 21
Golden Shiners 50 lbs Spring 21
Misquito Minnows 1000 Spring 21
Native Minnows ? Spring 21

Coppernose Bluegills 300 Summer 21
Bluegills 500+ 100 BIG Summer 21
Readears 500+ 150 BIG Summer 21
Longear/ OS Sunfish 200 ANY SZ Summer 21
Yellow Perch 500 SMALL Summer 21

Green Sunfish 200 SMALL Summer 22
Black Crappie 150 ANY SIZE Summer 22
Walleye 300 SMALL Spring 22
Smallmouth Bass 200 SMALL Spring 22
Wiper 100 SMALL Spring 22
Channel Cat 200 Summer 22

White Bass 50 LARGE Spring 23
Gizzard Shad??? 25-50 Large Summer 23
Largemouth Bass 50 Large Summer 23

Thank You!

5 Acre Pond- Ave Depth 7 ft- Max Depth 18 Ft.