Hi

I’m so glad to have found your forum and for the opportunity to learn more about pond management. I’m really interested in ecology and understanding about soil and hydrology. I’m interested in fish and forestry (only one of which I have in abundance unfortunately). I’m very much a DIY’er out of necessity and I’m (just) about young enough to give most things a go when it comes to some of the tasks I’m aware maybe required of someone renovating a water body. I’m new to the game of managing approximately 1 acre of spring fed water on the leeward side of a clay ridge.

Our ponds were once a single brick pit but inter-war (WW1 & 2) were made into 3 lakes each connected by a drain pipe. A sluice to the highway surface water drain was installed in the late 60’s. We’ve owned the site 5 years. Before then it was home to one of the most exclusive fishing clubs in the county. However the site seems to have lost its mojo a couple of decades ago and we bought it to help.

We’re hoping to restore the waters. Any advice on the issues we face would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance and a happy Christmas and healthy new year to you all!

Hope that’s a sufficient introduction. I’m sure I will have left some stuff out.
I really do need help. I’lll be a ready and willing actor on any and all sound and reasonable advice.
Best wishes