Originally Posted by jpsdad
Originally Posted by wbuffetjr
I think the main thing for me to solve after survival is reproduction. Really don't want to have to ladder stock, but will if I must.

From the perspective of a self-sustaining ecosystem, reproduction of the predators will complete the picture. On the other hand, from a fishery perspective, predators that reproduce require a lot of population control ... typically. As the manager of a fishery, you might count yourself blessed that you can control the numbers of predators such that their growth is high and predictable. The time and effort required to control predator numbers is a cost too. IMHO, when value is placed on the cost of controlling predator population ... the highest value, most predictable results, and greatest efficiency of prey use come from the put & take predator scenario.

Down here in the flat lands, its just more complicated with our warm water fishes that are right at home reproducing in ponds. For us, to be supplied predators that won't reproduce in the species desired is a non-starter. To me, the situation you have is truly ideal from a fisheries perspective. Abundant forage and the ability to design the predator population into the fishing experience you want most. So long as it is not in conflict with the water's capacity to carry (probably food limited with your aeration), you cannot fail in achieving it.

Thanks again Jpsdad. That is a perspective I have NEVER even considered!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management