Originally Posted by wbuffetjr
I have a TON of FHM. There is not a shortage. I just figured their 2.5" size would be a problem when trying to feed 4lb fish. Is it not? If that is not a concern then I should be good to go.

I am reminded of the waters below Table Rock Lake in Missouri. The creature supporting this trout fishery is assellus aquaticus or water sowbug. It's amazing the size that trout grow to and the abundance of their staple prey. Eventually these trout become monsters (world record sizes) that are capable of eating stocker sized trout. But to become a fish capable of eating the trout they have to grow up on sowbugs. They are small, but they cannot avoid the trout and the trout eat their fill of them. There is something to say for abundant, easy to capture, small prey. Blue whales, the largest of all our creatures, is supported mostly by krill which individually are very small.

Rather than tell you what you need, I will instead caution you about what you want to avoid. In particular, you do not want to introduce anything that might heavily compete with trout for prey that are the size of your scuds or larger. Large GSH will consume your scuds and FHM fry. They could grow fat on them in the same way your trout grow fat on them. The growth of your fish seem to be approaching what can only be described as maximum potential growth. This tells me two things. There is lots of prey and the trout standing weight is less than the lake could support. Unless mortality intervenes, they will continue to grow like this (I think) until they reach the lakes limit of carrying capacity.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers