Agree with both posts. But, say that you have an aerator motor pulling 12 amps. So you decide to use 10 gauge wire, it can handle more than double that current. 10 gauge wire has a resistance of 0.9988 ohms per 1000 feet. At 12 amps, the I squared R loss for 500 yards (250 to the pump and back (it takes a full path) would be 215 watts of power lost. The wiring would drop about 12 volts, taking it away from the motor. So as you can see, after doing the math; I am absolutely wrong and you are right. Too much power loss.

Run an air line.

Please read this post then delete it. It takes a real man to admit when he is wrong and I... well, just delete the post.

OK, OK, so I can't admit error, upon further thought, if you wired a 220 volt pump:
To run a 220 volt motor and wires, versus a 110 volt motor and wiring halves the current, which is what you are worried about. The same aerator would pull 6 amps, doing the math, the power loss in the wire is less than 54 watts. Much more acceptable. But run an air line.

Please understand that I am very stressed today. The president called to get my opinion about how to run the country. I had him on hold while I was talking to the CIA about Iraq. The Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders are always calling wanting a date, which makes my wife very jealous. I had to go to Sears to model underwear for their catalog, so I was very busy today and just didn't think the post through.

Nick Smith