Rather than accidental good results ... perhaps this is an example of what one may expect in 2 1/2 years given your initial stocking plan. Rather than luck or accident, I say you made some good choices in the beginning and this is result. Congratulations on a job well done. smile

Quote:
I don't know how long this accidental bass haven can sustain itself, but I am enjoying it while I can.

This much I can tell you, It won't "sustain itself" at the same level but you can achieve many years of similar performance if you begin managing your predators now. The BOW is probably at its carrying capacity and so you can gain a very good sense of what biomass of predators your BOW can support. You just need that biomass spread across a progression of year classes averaging the current average weight. Most all of current biomass is in one year class (your initial stocking). It will take a few years to transform to the progression taking a combination of stocking, selective recruitment, and harvest. You would need to be vigilant removing small LMB recruits.

You also mentioned starting over which is an alternative that many do. Just keep in mind that your BOW today is a reflection of what it was this Spring (as well as a reflection of your initial stocking plan and if you fed ... the feed). It is not a reflection of what it will be in 4 years. Now that your BOW is at carrying capacity ... what it is in 4 years will be a reflection of what it is today and what you do to shape its future.

QA and yourself have BOWs at similar stages in time with similar stocking plans. I would think there is a lot you guys could share and discuss with regard to managing future goals.

Last edited by jpsdad; 09/30/19 04:45 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers