Gumboot/Pedro,

I know you're just trying to rack up a few posts for lunker status. \:\)

Actually my personal pond has had striped bass hybrids and black crappie. I purposely created a pond with only minimal littoral or shore habitat. Steep slopes, no submerged cedars...anything I could do to tip the scales toward my SBH. It worked almost too well. In three years I never saw any black crappie reproduction. However the adult fish that I started with grew quite well. Some went to 14 inches. (Whew, I accidentally wrote 24 inches at first. I think I might have lost a little credibility with that one.)

In a paper written for the "North American Journal of Fisheries Management" 19:1044-1053, 1999 Neal, Noble and Rice wrote that hybrid striped bass introduction in small warmwater impoundments resulted in significant increases in total lengths and Wr's of bluegill, redear sunfish and black crappie. Not surprisingly the Wr's of LMB decreased because the SBH (which were quite small, by the way) consumed the Centrarchids (sunfish) at rate of nearly one million per hectare.

English translation. If you want to control crappie, bluegill and redear sunfish populations with striped bass hybrids, to a point that there is no stunting and maximum growth you need the following equation.

1. Stock plenty of smaller SBH
2. Give them an environment that they can catch their prey.
3. Be willing to give up largemouth bass body condition in trade.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.