nvcdl,

Given its history, I am not at all surprised. Also at the rate you are harvesting, I agree you will have more trouble ahead.

As far fin-clipping hundreds of crappie ... you obviously misread what was written. In the scenario, only 10 fish are fin-clipped per acre ... easily doable. Every fish greater than 8" is harvested except for fin clipped fish. Fin clipped fish are only harvested when they exceed the minimum length say 12 or 13 inches. The scenario anticipate the need to harvest 400 crappie per acre but it does not include any bluegill or LMB that reproduce.

As to your current situation I do think that it might be best start over because you obviously don't have a priority of having crappie. Crappie are not helping your situation and there is no hope you will make a dent in them at the rate you are harvesting them (meanwhile hating every minute of it).

To all else. I already stated it above. If you think you want crappie ... plan on harvesting almost all of the year 1 fall crappie (fall after 2nd summer) or you likely have a huge mess after a few years of non-harvest. If you don't want to harvest crappie and you still think you want them ... then you need a predator that is up to the task of doing the cropping that you don't want to do.

Last edited by jpsdad; 09/02/19 08:17 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers