ShortCut, most days I admit I'm a rookie to myself in the mirror.. :-)
I will share my thoughts though.
I am a believer in structure and my observations of FHM are that they prefer the underside of anything present. I've also seen clean new ponds with zero structure produce fry. Obviously cover offers more than just spawning sites such as obvious protection from other predators and the elements etc..
I like pallet structures in 1-3' of water and I also see numerous "black" males jetting around in my riprap-more than I see them anywhere else, just an observation.
I like the idea of 2-4" BG being stocked at the same time as FHM. BG eat some of the smaller fhm but their diet is very diverse if other items are available. The age of the pond since new has a lot to do with that, and to quote Bill Cody, "The developing food web" takes a little bit of time.
I'd stock the RES along with the BG at the same time in the same size.
I also believe it helps to get fish on supplemental feed quickly as well. good growth, good health, less pressure on other items developing in the pond, and yes, I think it's a great idea as well as good measure to wait until the next fall to introduce predators.
I wish I would have waited longer on my own
When those predators are stocked, they have an environment full of a very diverse list of elements and the growth is unimaginable.
I don't believe there is any reason to add additional BG/RES after initial stocking.

Last edited by Snipe; 08/29/19 12:48 AM. Reason: spelling