Originally Posted By: Paul FNG
Thanks for the insight!

Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
Your fine tuned stocking numbers and when the individual species go in will be determined by your goals...do you want to try and grow bigger bass or bigger panfish?

I'm probably like most new pond owners - I want to have my cake and eat it, too.

In a perfect world, I'll have a handful of 3-5lb LMB but also have some 9" BG/HBG among smaller fish of both species. I'm realistic enough to know there's only so much biomass a 2/5-ish acre pond can support, and that you typically need BG overpopulation to support large bass and LMB overpopulation to support large gills.

I don't mind spending some time managing populations to maintain a semblance of balance, though if I'm honest I'd probably trend toward slightly more panfish.

For such a small pond managing reproducing species will be a constant headache. Consider managing for put-and-take fishing with hybrids of limited reproductive potential. For example, if you ladder stock hybrid striped bass and/or hybrid bluegill and feed pellets you'll get tackle-busting good fishing and eating with limited hands-on management. I've seen (and felt and eaten) the results!

Seriously, call one of the Pond Boss pros. The conversation about stocking strategy will be free to you and potentially save you money and a big headache down the road.

EDIT: I should add -- QuarterAcre might be too modest to brag but you should check his posts for pictures of his HSB and HBG from his 1/4 ac pond!

Last edited by Bocomo; 08/02/19 10:34 AM.