Originally Posted By: Joey Quarry
Originally Posted By: swampsnyper
Got my water test kit in today.
ph 7.5
ammonia .10
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0

First, let me apologize for my perceived inexperience. I certainly do not mean to overstep any boundaries. I am just trying to help.

I am going to assume you used the API Freshwater Test Kit another member linked. That means your ammonia is 0.1ppm (mg/L). If my lake tested that, I would be alarmed. It is mitigated somewhat by your pH but interpreting ammonia readings is also temperature dependent. Can you measure the temperature?

Ammonia exists in two forms in the water, NH3(unionized ammonia) and NH4+(ionized ammonia). NH3 is toxic to fish at >0.03 mg/L (ppm). NH4 is relatively harmless. The ratio of concentration of each is pH and temperature dependent. The higher the pH and or temperature, the more of the NH3 will be present.

Now that you have a test kit, perhaps taking measurements at various points of the day may show a rising pH and temperature at a certain time of day, thus raising your NH3 to dangerous levels for short periods?

Yes I used the api test kit posted above. The last time I checked my temps, they were close to 75-76F 1ft below the surface in about 6ft of water in full sun. The test kit for ammonia had 2 color samples. One for 0.0 and one for .25. My color was in between so I just estimated it at .1 to write something in my records as a reference. I have no way to be exact.
Thanks for everyones opinions. I really appreciate all the help. Please continue. I'm a sponge at this point. The hatchery is wanting to give me 200 replacement fish on Monday. They are saying they see no problems with this new batch and I should be fine. Should I ask for a refund instead? They are about 45 min away I think and will stop by my feed store which is less than 15 min away.