Welcome nvcdl! Here's my 2 cents, from someone who became the 'new' owner of an old pond 4 years ago. Don't be in a hurry to make any changes until you have a full understanding of how your pond currently functions, and have confidence you know what species of fish are already in it. Because there is a mountain of knowledge available here at the PB forum, from dozens of certified experts. But the first thing they'll say is 'it depends'. And that's not meant to be glib or off putting. It just means, the more knowledge you have about YOUR pond, the better advice we (the PB family) can give you.
I just fished a lot and observed all I could for the first season. Get a little boat if you can, take depth readings any way you can; wade the shallows. Watch how the pond reacts to rainfalls (small type and gully washer type). Take note of what plants grow on the edges and in the water. See what other wildlife use it (frogs, turtles, crawdads, minnows, etc). Keep written notes to help you remember what you saw and when. And read other people's stories and problems on the PB forum. I found that my problems were common to a lot of pondmeisters around the country (and world even). So you don't have to 're-invent the wheel' or go to the school of hard knocks, but just give it some time to learn more BEFORE any changes. Then, when someone here asks you 'what's your goals?' you'll have a ready answer, based on what you already know about your pond.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.