Dr. Wizz that is great advice.

I have lots of trees on both sides of the pond. I was a little hesitant to use a tree because I wasn't confident on how to build a predator guard. We have to figure that predators can climb up the tree (so your idea of wrapping tin around tree and how you did it really helps). But also I'm told the tree has to stand by itself with no trees within 10ft on each side to prevent critters from jumping from one tree to the nest. The opposite side of the pond where I want to put the 2nd box has trees but they are on the far side of my driveway. I was thinking that might be an issue so then I was back to putting the stake or post close to the water edge or in the water.

I like the tree idea. My goal for the first year was to mount 2 boxes, maybe they'll pick one, and then the next year move them around to see what they like.

So when you wrapped the tree with stovepipe, was 2' tall wrap around the tree sufficient or should it be 3' or 4' tall wrap?

My hut on the west side of the pond faces east so it is protected from the prevailing winds and has a dense patch of woods behind it that the duck might see as protective cover.

On the east side of the pond there is grass, my driveway and on the other side of that about an acre of trees and then another house. This duck house would then face west (so I can see the activity in and out too!) We'll see what they like.

So how high up the tree did you mount them from the ground? Or didn't it matter?

The nice thing about these very nice plastic duck houses is that they are not that heavy either and their superb molded in color scheme is very nice camo effect too.