Originally Posted By: Dinsmoreoutdoors
Hey everyone,

. . . All the CNBG are doing great due to a feeding program and the adults are hand size and bigger, though few of them spawned shallow, most spawned in 8ft of water. I didnt have a giant spawn of CNBG but it was pretty good. The main forage in the pond is CNBG and minnows along the bank.I have now grass in the pond only hard structure like pallets, logs, and some sunken christmas trees. What do you think I can do to start getting weight back on my bass? feel free to ask any question to get a better back ground.

It sounds like your BOW is at carrying capacity and filled with CNBG that are too large for your initial stockers to eat. You have some choices but you must make the BOW more amenable to the production of 0 year CNBG.

1. Create space for CNBG YOY. This can be done by harvesting large CNBG. You can also add more structure which will increase habitat and food for young BG with the benefit of providing cover for them.

2. Increase fertility (fertilization or feed). Just another way make more space for the BG. Just keep in mind that this capacity will be filled quickly and predominantly consumed by larger CNBG.

3. Diversify the food chain to use unconverted primary production. TP and TFS are possible additions. This doesn't make more space for BG but they should contribute more forage than the CNBG forage you sacrifice.

4. Reduce competition among the LMB. Harvest is your only option that will reduce competition. You haven't stated your goal with regard to the LMB or what the ultimate sustainable objective will be.

I think the fastest way to get back on track is a combination of CNBG harvest and LMB culling which should be focused on male LMB. I say fastest because the reduced competition will be immediate and the CNBG will respond by spawning just as soon as the space is available and temperatures are sufficient. So, I think you should be doing these fishing efforts now so that you will get the benefit of the full growing season next year.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers