My old refurbished pond (the one directly south of my RES/SMB pond we did not visit at the PBF get together), before I rebuilt and expanded it, was nearly completely covered with spaterdock. The pond dam was breached and being silted in the deepest part of the old pond was only maybe 3 feet deep at the deepest. When I cleaned it out some of the roots of the spaterdick were as big around as my wrist and thick. Was a real eye opener. I had no idea so much biomass was under the water beneath the soil.

So far since the renovation the spaterdock has kept itself to a spot in the middle of the pond where there is a shallow underwater hump and a couple small patches on each side near shore. I like that amount and I hope to keep in contained to that amount in those areas.

Good luck with your eradication. If it covered the whole pond I would be wary of a DO crash as it decomposes. But you have two positive things going for you. It only covers a small portion of your pond and it is cold weather (cold water holds more DO). I would suggest being much more careful how much you kill at a time if it were hot weather, but I would guess you would be fine this time of year.

Also be aware those roots are highly interconnected. Where you are trying to get rid of it, no problem. But if a person was trying to only kill a specific area, you might spray one area and through translocation of chemical through interconnected roots kill some desirable area 50 feet away.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by snrub; 11/05/18 11:26 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine