Originally Posted By: snrub
I'm using a 1023 with three 9" double diffusers on a 3 acre pond running about 8 hours a day and it works well.

If I recall correctly on the 9" diffusers I am using two (one double Matala diffuser) will not quite handle the volume of air the 1023 puts out. In other words it would over pressure a double 9" diffuser at a 9' depth.

So with the 9" Matala diffusers I should not use it on less than three of the diffuser heads at once. I normally run it on 6 at once (three doubles).

I would say if you had anything over an acre pond you could make it work with three diffusers. You would just run it fewer hours. So you would need a timer capable of starting a 1hp motor which is what I have.

Running fewer hours per day just means the pump will last more years.

I am thinking about just running one vertex xl5 diffuser with the 1023 providing the air. I would probably be in 9-10 ft of water and that diffuser should move about 10,000 gpm! There are three small inlets in my pond, but they are shallow and one of them (the deepest) is spring fed. What I save in air line cost I will spend in the diffuser, but I figure this would be a good core to start with and it will move all the water in the pond overnight. The pond is shaped like a three toed paw print. Most of the water is in the main body. I realize that I may not get very good turn over in the little inlets, but it is shallow enough I am not sure it will matter too much if I turn the main body over every night. Is this a good way to go or is it better to spread out less efficient diffusers? I would like to order everything today and get this project going!