It pretty much means you have a high nutrient pond. I have seen goldfish gobble the stuff down, but you would have to trade one problem with perhaps a worse one.

A surface skimming pump and filter running 24/7 may knock it back some, but you may need to approach this with a much larger process in mind to really get a handle on it.

First you will need to address the nutrient issue by getting your water tested, and then trying to address any issues this shows. If the phosphorous is high, perhaps an Alum treatment would help get a leg up on it by tying up the phosphorous.

Then hit the pond with fluridone, which pretty much nukes everything of more complex plant life in the water. If the nutrient problem has not been addressed, then you will have that nice FA to deal with after competing plants are gone, and no Tilapia to convert it from ugly to meat. An option after fluridone does its job is to stock some grass carp that will be pretty hungry until plants start showing up again, but then will nip most of the plants in the bud before they take over. Only stock a small amount of GC at first, and only add the bare minimum to maintain.

It is a possible plan, and I hope others will correct me where I goofed or if there are better options. It is not an easy nut to crack, and could get expensive.

If you have the cash, you can always renovate to get the nutrients out, but that can be a big job lasting a year or more. It is also a "cheater" method and a change to expand your pond and add features to improve the fishery.