Tracy don't let the unknown haunt you ! Keep at it. There is a lot of unknown but also some very good signs in your lake. I may get in trouble for writing this but here goes anyway. I have meet and worked with a lot of very good fishery scientists. I liked 95% of them and thought they knew their trade , some better than others. I think I know a little but am positive I still have much more to learn. All those Fishery Scientists I mentioned would tell you face to face that they still have a lot to learn. Not a one of them have all the answers and they would be the first to tell you that. Having said that I have on occasion provided the same set of basic fact info and goals (electroshock , seine , visual and creel data over several years) to several and each provided well reasoned answers and analysis. Here is the catch - everyone of them gave different answers. Dave Willis was the best Fisheries Scientist I have known. The trait that made him stand out over others was his desire to learn. His most used answer after contemplating the info was " we just don't really know" . Then he would find the answer or answers as far as possible.

Those are the same traits that make good pond owner/managers. Be wary of easy quick answers to complex questions. Mother nature is 50 moves ahead of us on a multi-level chess game. You will not get it perfect but perfect should never be the enemy of good. Enjoy the challenge and most of all the journey to good ! You don't need perfect ! Perfect is an unbalanced state of circumstances controlled by Mother Nature.

Because of the loss of the TFS I doubt you are at carrying capacity. I doubt that you need to remove 7 in BG for capacity reasons. The TFS will be replaced soon with BG and tilapia now that there is room. FWIW TFS are a very good forage high in what LMB need. However they are best for 1 to 4 lb LMB not as good for 6+ lb LMB. From an energetics standpoint big fish need big meals. Those 7 in BG are perfect for 21+ in LMB. You need a BG population analysis - you know enough to make one now. The size where there are to many BG is the size LMB that are missing. Lots of 7 inch BG = not to many 22 in + LMB. They will get there in time and need the bigger forage. Todds advice was based on TFS being in the mix which they are not now.

Last edited by ewest; 05/30/18 02:01 PM.