Ok. I've been reading up on calcium carbonate. I see now what Don was referring to is actually ag lime. (The going to a concrete plant part threw me for a loop.) I can get standard ag lime by by the bag at my local feed store for a little over $7/50lbs. Being that my soil makeup is 80/20 sand/clay mix with no rock at all, it makes sense now that I may need to pay the extra and get ag lime instead of garden lime.

However, I'd like to know if anyone in my area, (SW La/ SE Tx) has used garden lime and what kind of results they had, just out of curiosity as their soil makeup is going to be very similar to mine.

Y'all are gonna have to forgive my ignorance guys. Still learning there's a lot about pond management I've got to get my thick skull wrapped around.

On a side note...I just took another ph reading since the rain has let up. We didn't get a lot, and no runoff due to the ground being so dry, but the level did in fact drop to 8 with the little rain we got and almost constant cloud cover since mid morning.

Visibility is 28 inches and still very olive green.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 05/23/18 04:02 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!