Yes "Jumbo" is a marketing term, and yes my Perch came from a fish farm. The guy at the fish farm told me if the water temperature drops too low the eggs will die. He told me he collects some ribbons and brings them inside to incubate for this reason. Once they hatch and the pond water is warmer, he puts them back in the pond. There could be a lot of reasons why I'm not seeing any young Perch. I was thinking if the strain of Perch I have spawns to early the water temp may be to low. I was thinking Perch from local lakes would be more in tune with local weather.

I have only had two years with spawning Perch so far, and as far as I know zero recruitment. So I'm on a mission to make it happen. There are of course good hatches in some years and poor in others. Maybe I just need to give it time.

I did some close observation of the ribbons I saw the first year. The eggs were mostly clear and a few were white. But I never did see the eyes. Eventually (weeks later) the clusters broke up. That is why I think the eggs died.

I will bring some in this spring and see what happens. That will be a fun project. Thanks