Thanks for everyone's responses... I actually live in Lakeland TN and I called the state and they are going to come out in July and do a free survey of the pond... I will post again after this as I am sure I will know much more about it... Here are a few more details I have learned:
I stepped it off and it is 120 ft. long and about 50 ft wide and 80 ft wide (it's an L shape) I was told by the former owners that the max depth is about 10 feet. From what I can tell, the only water source to the pond is rain and a pipe they put in to supply runoff from rain... I am wondering with a pond this small and down here in the brutally hot months of July and August if I need to worry about oxygen loss in the pond? The water appears to be a little on the muddy side, but it is full and we've had lots of storms and rain lately. Anyway, I have been fishing 3 times in the past week and caught a total of 7 bass (mostly using topwater lures), each 8 to 10 inches long. Bass is all I've seen so far... tried using earthworms and caught nothing, also tried live white grubs and caught nothing... doesn't seem to be bluegill... I'll try crickets next. Funny, I have not seen any snakes or turtles, but tons of frogs. Also, I was told by the previous owner that they caught a 4 lb bass at another lake and released it in the pond... anyway, I'm having fun discovering more about it... PS in a pond this small, would a fountain ruin the fishing? :p