Originally Posted By: Jim Wetzel
Shorty, to get a different experience with the RES bump up temperature and photoperiod. Also provide a little live eats like meal worms making so fish starting coming up to your hands. That level of tameness help acclimate fish to tank so they more completely settle in.

RES go nuts on bloodworms poured out of a shot glass which will acclimate them to the tank and get them feeding right away. The ones out in my shop were feeding vigorously within two hours of being put in tbe tank and it was a two hour drive home to get them here. I have been keeping water temps out in my shop tank at 80 degrees all summer. I also use a shot glass to dip a little tank water to hydrate feed daily. I actually had a small 2" RES jump into the glass earlier this summer while getting water to hydrate feed. I also have to watch my fingers at the surface of the tank as they swarm and nibble. Occasionally I'll have a 4" to 5" RES jump out hit my finger as I'm dropping hydrated pellets on the surface. Daily tank cleaning along with a water change has made them very tame.