i thought i would start a new thread instead of adding this to my fish kill thread. as some of you know, i just barely missed a big fish kill. quick actions of starting up 3 pumps saved the day (night). I had trouble this year getting and maintaining a bloom. i fertilized and limed and eventually had things going good. right before the fish got stressed i noticed the water turned an odd color (grayish) but not as bad as last year. after the event the other night it appears the water has gotten really clear. i understand the plankton is the base of the food chain, but is it also the responsible for most of the oxygen in an unaerated pond? i guess i have never concerned myself with this aspect since i never had a problem in old or new pond with oxygen. i have a vegetation problem from time to time. fa, pondweed, chara, etc. i have eliminated most of it except the chara. i am not having much luck with cutrine with the chara. if using algaecides to control vegetation, is that a possible cause leading up to low oxygen? i don't mean the dying and decomposing of the matter, i mean the elimination of the bloom that can occur during treatment.

Scott Hanners