unlike the first time i did not bother trying to feed them non commercial feed like bloodworms or beefheart, etc. I have only used commercial feed and i dont bother to hydrate it. I may have done so for the first week but not significantly overall.

The one thing i did do better is size the feed better for gape. As fish grow at different rates. its common for me to mix my feedings with two sizes as and of course as a process when transitioning to the larger diameter feed.

Feeds that i used (this time) are:
purina Aquamax 100
optimal Starter Feed #2
purina aquamax 300
purina aquamax 400

optimal fingerling line is significantly more expensive per lb than the purina fingerling line but the ability to buy 10lb buckets instead of 50lb bags is a nice advantage.(i also very much like the resealable/reusable buckets) The reason i am using purina so much is because the 100 was left over from last year and optimal had not yet released their fingerling starter when i NEEDED to order the next size up pellet.

Right now i do not have a recommendation on pellet type brand other than it should be "complete diet", appropriate protein/nutrients for the fish's age and the right size for the fish's gape. I do not have the infrastructure to do much in the way of side by side comparisons so i will probably never have any good data in that respect. I will say i am moving all of my feeds to optimal but i cant say that i have any reason or data to say its better than the other. Its just a decision based on peripheral reasons and personal preference.

Last edited by bcotton; 06/07/17 06:21 PM.