They don't look like black bullheads to me, but I've seen only small ones that were very black. Larger ones may be lighter. These look closer to yellow bellies, but not quite. The black bullheads I've seen were in cold water with northern pike. They were all too small to mess with. I believe in warmer water, black bullheads grow as large as yellow and brown bullheads, and they are all so similar that the species makes very little difference. I lived on a lake in southern Wisconsin that had nice brown and yellow bullheads, commonly up to around 3 lb, and also northern pike and walleye. I think bullheads are excellent table fare, but the warnings about overcrowding are valid. It might be better to experiment in a smaller body of water that you could sacrifice, if necessary. They have sharp spines in their dorsal and pectoral fins that cause stinging if you get stuck, and they protect the fish from predators. They can survive in muddy, poor quality water that few other fish can stand. When they get more than a few inches long, northerns won't prey on them.