CC, you are correct. As long as the pond is truly private, AND the fish are not on the restricted or prohibited list, the gloves are off. Now, they are in the process of re-writing the laws and regulations and things might change in 6 months or a year, so things might change. I DO have a supplier for feed trained SMB who is already in Michigan. grin

Tony, even "at times" is good enough for Michigan to consider a pond as "private waters of the state", i.e., not truly a "private pond" and ALL of those ponds (Private waters of the state) need to have a stocking permit. If the pond has an overflow pipe, spillway, etc. even if it hasn't been used in years, it is still considered to be "public" and it needs to have a stocking permit. I need to have a copy of that stocking permit in the truck before leaving Indiana.

Also, a pond is considered "Private waters of the State" if it has an inflow pipe, culvert or stream entering the pond, even a seasonal one.

This is why many fish suppliers will not come to Michigan to stock ponds - too many hoops to jump through.

The license I have applied for expires in September, so I need to re-apply for any fish stocking in October..... A PITA for sure.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).