Hmm. No replies? Is this thread even looked at anymore? I sure could use some advice, and this is the most relevant thread I found on draining a farm pond to rework it. I can't cut any new dam to move muck out, as there isn't a dam right now, only a drain pipe with several springs with GREAT output to keep quite a flow.

The decent amount of flow through this pond is why I can't use natural muck-eating products, as they would just wash through.

I want to drain my pond to have it dug out, but I have a BIG concern as per a neighbor's comments on my pond. He said he would not dig as deep as I wanted (15') as he'd hit mancos shale, resulting in a leaking pond. There is at least 2' of heavy muck across the entire bottom. Making the pond only about 6' deep, and too warm for most any fish to survive in it at 66F degrees all summer.

He said 10' might be okay, but he also said he recommends against removing all the muck layer as it is an important sealing layer keeping leaks from happening.

Does the anti-leaking layer of muck claim have any merit? If he doesn't want to dig it out, I can find someone who will do it, but no doubt for more $$.

The neighbor is a very accomplished heavy equipment operator, and has dug several of his own ponds, so I put some weight to his words, but not complete confidence.

I hope to hear back real soon. I'd like to pull the drain tomorrow (Easter) to begin to let it dry over the next month or so, and have it dug out.

Thanks all and Happy Easter!
Chuck

Last edited by DCQuarterCircle; 04/16/17 12:33 AM.