Originally Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre
How long does it usually take for fish to start showing up to feeding time again after a high water event muddies the water? We are talking extra-chocolaty milk. When should I start worry about all of the fish being gone?

IME...I put in a lot of erosion control measures so the pond doesn't get near as muddy as it used too and the fish only slow feeding a little after a big rain.

Back when the pond got muddy, the CC seemed less affected and didn't take long to start hitting the feed again while the BG took a while. I just thought it was because the CC are feeding mostly by smell. If you've ever watched CC feed you'll see them moving over the surface like a vacuum cleaner; not targeting specific pellets. The BG seem to be more sight feeders targeting specific pellets so the muddy water makes it harder for them to detect the pellets?

I also think water suddenly becoming muddy is a stresser and impacts fish behavior. IMO It has to impact their ability to breathe with all that suspended stuff passing thru their gills.

Just my 1 cent....

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/04/17 05:39 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!