Hello all,

I am looking for some advice on stocking a pond that I had dug on my property in May of 2015. It is about a 1/3 acre pond (not very large compared to the other posts I read on here) and let's say the max depth is about 15-16 feet.

I'm really looking to stock the pond because I have heard it's good for keeping the water clean. I might do some light fishing, but the pond's main purpose is swimming. There is a large beach area at the front and a float out in the center. Field runoff is essentially zero, as there is a big hill behind the pond and the ground on each side mostly runs away from it. I have a windmill that I will be installing on the hill behind the pond for aeration as soon as the spring weather breaks.

I had looked into some recommendations on other sites and came up with

10 bass
20 croppie
10 catfish

I also had some numbers written out about the max I could do for my pond's dimensions, but then my brother, who lives down the street and has had a 1/2 acre pond himself for years, didn't think those numbers looked right and recommended I visit these forums.

To be truthful I have no idea if I'm on the right track with the numbers or the species. This is all really new to me. I've fished and been around fishing all my life but know nothing about stocking a pond. Can anyone help?