Unfortunately most governments over time do turn into tyranies. That is why historically governments do not last forever.

The framers of the constitution were very aware of this problem, considering the new country had just declared independence from one. From what I read, the original signing was questionable that it was going to happen because many did not feel it limited the federal government enough. It was signed only with the understanding that the limitation of powers would be revisited. That revisit was what amounted to the very first set of ammendments, or what we know of as the bill of rights.

They wanted the power of the federal strictly limited because they knew first hand from many historic failures of governments that government tyrany eventually leads to revolutions. That is why they specifically left most of the power to the states, where state legislators were closer and represented more closely the people that they governed.

I would agree that the world we live in today with mutlinational corporations is somewhat different. But there are plenty of laws on the books to address those problems already, even if those laws have been ignored for too long (specifically anti-trust laws among others).

Last edited by snrub; 03/03/17 12:15 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine