Originally Posted By: 5444
... I wasn't planning on pellet feeding and I'm not opposed to going the traditional route of BG, LMB, and CC. It just seemed more exciting to do something different. I would rather have a healthy pond with great fishing then a non traditional pond with average fishing....

Hey 5444 welcome to PBF from another Illini. I am located 100+ miles or so to the North of you near Rockford.

FWIW Illinois DNR would recommend LMB, BG, CC and RES for your location. IMO regardless of what you stock, you will need to harvest some fish. I hope that is in your plan. Once CC reach 3 pounds or so they can become apex predators and dominate. The CC would also need to be ladder stocked as you harvest them as they probably will not successfully reproduce in a pond your size. Do you like to eat CC?

IMO I think a key is that you do not want to pellet feed. Perfectly ok but you need to stock accordingly. You need more forage in your plan like BG instead of HBG. BTW HSB and HBG are legal in Illinois.

As FHM are slow swimmers they are extremely vulnerable to predation and will disappear in 1 to 3 years where significant predators are present. Traditionally, they are a starter forage and with no established vegetation for them to hide in, they stand little to no chance of sustaining a population. Not saying you should not stock them as they are great fish to start your young predator stockers on the road to success. Just don't expect them to be there 5 years down the road.

Your goals are in line with mine. Just good fishing. I see no reason why you can't go with the Illinois DNR recommendation if that is in line with your goals and still add some bonus catch fish like a FEW HSB or HBG.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!