Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Stock small/medium FHM at qtys that are tolerable for verified ID. Many of them will be females. Large FHM are typically aged males and could only have a month or two left longevity - great bait but diminished worth for stocking/reproduction goals due to short life left. Consider small shiner species like SFS and BNM. Josh is testament to their benefits as forage, his SMB/YP are pigs.

I would err on the side of caution and consider stocking remaining species [HBG, SMB, HSB] fall of 2018 to enable your forage base to become established, especially if you plan on stocking SFS or BNM. I understand a sense of urgency but you have one shot to make it right...time is a great way to slash your budget and decrease odds of making a mistake during stocking.

FWIW I think this is all extremely good advice.

To touch on a few of TJ's points based on my own experience... I stocked my FHM 60% small and 40% large and had great success with reproduction my first summer. I also think stocking a small shiner and/or BNM which both stand a better chance of sustaining a population (FHM will most likely disappear in a year or two) is a great idea. It's very difficult (and expensive) to try to get SFS and/or BNM established once the predators are in there.

Another idea to prop up the forage base would be to add a few areas of large rip-rap, broken concrete, etc. and stocking Papershell crawfish (PSC) before you add predators. IMO Good source of additional forage.

Question to the pros... is this pond a good candidate for GSH to provide slightly larger forage for the SMB and HSB to relieve pressure on the YP?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned (at least that I've seen) is how many of each fish you are thinking about stocking. Another question for the pros.... is maybe stocking just a very few predators a little earlier possible until the forage base is fully established?

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/04/17 07:33 PM. Reason: After thought

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!