John, I've owned my land for about 30 years. With the exception of the last 3 years, rain always fell "over there". When I bought the place it had a 1/4 acre, 7 ft deep, pond that dried up multiple times. The spring fed creek finally dried up about 6 years ago. Even with the plentiful rains of recent years, the spring is still not recharged.

I once mentioned it to Lusk and he said that he had noticed that my area seemed to be the area that rains came close to but skipped. And yet, he generally got pretty good rains at his place.

Prior to the Texas floods, my 1.5 acre pond that started out as 17 ft deep, became a 2 ft deep, 1/3 acre mud hole. I certainly understand your feelings. Been there; done that. This was a serious 5 year drought that followed a lot of dry years.

Prior to the rains, Wichita Falls that is about 60 miles North, was recycling potty water for household use. Several North Texas towns had their lakes go dry and had to pipe water from a pretty good distance or shut the town down. Ranchers sold their cattle because there was nothing to eat or drink. By the time it started raining there was a beef shortage in America with the resulting high prices at the grocery store.

I know a whole bunch about it raining elsewhere. A good book about Texas droughts is Elmer Keltons "The time it never rained".

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 11/08/16 07:17 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP