Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
If your forage base is dense enough in the trophy SMB pond [minnow/shiner species plus YP plus TFS] then supplemental feeding of SMB is likely unnecessary.

IMHO, the challenge in getting your SMB to trophy size is that it will likely take several years, during which time the SMB will be spawning and recruiting--which will put tremendous pressure on your forage base. SMB just don't grow as fast as LMB; length will increase quickly, but it takes a while to put on the mass that makes a 21 or 22" smallie weigh 4+ lbs. To keep growing, a 3-4lb smallie needs a lot of appropriate sized forage, and it's hard for minnows/perch to get to an ideal prey size when their populations are getting pounded by a couple of other year classes of predators. SMB don't have the reputation for voraciousness that LMB do, but masses of 2-4" smallies swimming around in the late summer will really do a number on YOY forage species. Adding large amounts of TFS will certainly help with this challenge, but that is a lot of TFS to add if following the conventional wisdom that it takes 10lbs of consumed forage to add 1lb of weight to a predators mass. And to keep them growing and in good shape, you'd have to commit to consistently adding the TFS over a long period.

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
In your second fishery with plans for WE, HSB, YP, SMB, and HBCP, I would recommend a feeding program.

+1. Given the appetites of the numerous predators, I would think a vigorous feeding program would be essential, and even then, I would worry that you'll be forage impoverished within a year or two, without some highly fecund, predator resistant species like BG present. [Ask TJ about the challenges of managing THAT combination, if you want to spend a couple more hours on the phone with him!!]