Very good point dave d. Ranch girl...that may be something you need to consider...if you have a lot of manure/fertilizer going into that small of a pond...you could have your hands busy. i saw that on your profile you are an architect. i'm sure in your business you must plan ahead. i really think that you ought to step back for a little bit...get some professional advice to come out to your place and give their professional opinion, ideas, etc. you may get a 3/4 acre pond..but with horses/cattle etc nearby, you may wind up with a sludge pond. how much watershed do you have, and what makes you think you need a well? i don't mean to put a damper on your expedition here, but i think you may sink some money into something that needs a little more planning pro eval. (by the way, i am not a pond expert, just a pondmeister wanna be like many others here!) but, you may want to go ahead and contact your soil conservation dept. and get on the list for the guy to come out with his lasers/levelers etc to shoot your lines/spillway etc. a 3/4 acre pond probably won't be too expensive. buuuttttt, you said you possibly could do a 20 acre lake!! now that my friend would be niiiccceeee! there are two ways to look at it...experiment and see if the 3/4 acre holds water, learn with or . or, plan ahead, get some pro advice, and see if you can put the money from the 3/4 acre pond towards a bigger pond. with your architect background, you could probably have some great ideas and expertise/design ideas about the pond. but i would use your expertise in conjunction with a pond building professional. just a suggestion to try to keep you from sinking money into a hole. hope you see that i'm not trying to discourage you from exploring pond building...but it gets expensive quickly, and i just don't want to see you waste money....because you could be putting that money into a bigger better pond that will last. as said many times on this web site...pay now or pay later...and that's pretty true.

by the way, did you ever squeeze that dirt between your hands?!!! mark