Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mrnot111, pondbear, N.C.PondJoe, LloydLusk, Catch N 8 NTex
18,579 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,090
Posts559,428
Members18,579
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,687
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,190
Who's Online Now
16 members (Augie, bemdh8, Knobber, Shorthose, HenryCountyAL, gautprod, Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Bigtrh24, Catch N 8 NTex, 4CornersPuddle, rjackson, cwright72, Boondoggle, Whatever, FishinRod), 970 guests, and 484 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
I have wondered if nature has given bird species that prey on fish the natural instinct to "seed" BOW's that are devoid of fish with fingerling fish. The bird tries to fish a BOW but never sees any fish. So the next fly by they stop and puke up some fish to get the BOW started growing fish??????????

Don't know, just speculating. There just seem to be too many unanswered questions of how BOW's have fish that were never stocked and not near enough for fish to swim in from other BOW's.

Nature provides a number of unusual habits of animals that seem unnatural or things we would never have imagined the animal doing. Part of their survival and reproductive instinct.

I saw a Green Heron come close to picking up a fish in one BOW and transferring it to another. Not quite, but close. Had he started his flight a little ways further down the bank the fish would have ended up in a different pond when he dropped it.

Last edited by snrub; 09/16/16 12:18 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I had an owl drop a rabbit on the hood of my truck. Not every behavior offers an evolutionary advantage. Some are just random events.

RAH #456029 09/16/16 01:33 PM
S
S
True. But even random events can effect evolution. grin

John

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Since fry/fish can swim for miles in even moderate rain events, swimming up considerably high flowing BOW outlets, spillways and waterfalls and have been documented doing so, and since not once has a bird stocking ever been documented, I'll go with fish swimming in. I will also accept the slim odds on birds dropping a male and female fish species in a BOW is possible.......barely.

Eggs being deposited by birds or animals, and remaining viable, an extremely miniscule possibility.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I might buy into the regurgitated minnow stocking, so long as the distance between the waters was very limited. I stop short of calling such a scenario anything but remotely accidental however.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
S
S
I bet you guys have trouble accepting UFO's and alien abductions too. crazy

Last edited by snrub; 09/16/16 08:13 PM.

John

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Totally believe in UFO's, alien abductions, bigfoot.....more evidence for those than there is for fish eggs sticking to a bird's legs!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
TGW1 #456074 09/16/16 09:56 PM
P
P
Originally Posted By: TGW1
There is one that hangs @ my place and will take off as soon as he hears or see me coming. Am pretty sure he returns as soon as I leave. What about the big white ones that hang at my place? They are there everyday also. I never expected so many birds would take up @ my place. I would not mind so much if it were Mallards or some other type of duck, because I could get in some shooting and something to eat. I don't think the heron is very tasty from what I hear.

Tracy

I heard they taste like chicken but the drumsticks are sparse on meat. They actually weigh very little. Our border collie accidentally ran into one head on one day and killed it while chasing our car down the lane. I was surprised how light it was. I couldn't even feel its stomach. It was like a hollow tube from its throat to its rear end. They must digest fish as fast as they eat them.

Last edited by poppy65; 09/16/16 09:57 PM.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Totally believe in UFO's, alien abductions, bigfoot.....more evidence for those than there is for fish eggs sticking to a bird's legs!

Preach Brother T!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: poppy65
There is one that hangs @ my place and will take off as soon as he hears or see me coming. Am pretty sure he returns as soon as I leave. What about the big white ones that hang at my place? They are there everyday also. I never expected so many birds would take up @ my place. I would not mind so much if it were Mallards or some other type of duck, because I could get in some shooting and something to eat. I don't think the heron is very tasty from what I hear.

Tracy

I heard they taste like chicken but the drumsticks are sparse on meat. They actually weigh very little. Our border collie accidentally ran into one head on one day and killed it while chasing our car down the lane. I was surprised how light it was. I couldn't even feel its stomach. It was like a hollow tube from its throat to its rear end. They must digest fish as fast as they eat them.

Our dog got one too one day. There really is nothing to these things. The big ones take to long to get off the ground and the dog is alot quicker.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I might buy into the regurgitated minnow stocking, so long as the distance between the waters was very limited. I stop short of calling such a scenario anything but remotely accidental however.

I have personally watched a belted kingfisher move minnows to a smaller body of water to teach her young how to fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9dJecJvGto

Listen to the last thing the GBH knows about your pond that you don't.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 09/17/16 10:55 AM.

P
P
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Originally Posted By: poppy65

Tracy

Our dog got one too one day. There really is nothing to these things. The big ones take to long to get off the ground and the dog is alot quicker.

I've noticed when scared they always give a big squirt of manure as they take off to lighten the load.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
"Approximately 48% of Yellowstone’s waters were once fishless"

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/fish_management_history.htm

Birds could not apparently stock these waters even over tens of thousands of years...

and another

"The absence of fish from eastern lakes is related to the lack of a stream within 50 m of the lake."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2427.2007.01949.x/abstract

Last edited by RAH; 09/17/16 11:41 AM.
T
T
Will, a Bald Eagle showed up at the pond yesterday. last time he or another was there was back in January through March. He was soring over the pond and then set in an old dead oak tree overlooking the pond. I have mixed feelings about it. Glad to see it but I don't like the idea of it feeding on the lmb or the hsb. I will try to get a picture of him gliding over the pond.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
TGW1 #456178 09/19/16 06:19 AM
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Will, a Bald Eagle showed up at the pond yesterday. last time he or another was there was back in January through March. He was soring over the pond and then set in an old dead oak tree overlooking the pond. I have mixed feelings about it. Glad to see it but I don't like the idea of it feeding on the lmb or the hsb. I will try to get a picture of him gliding over the pond.

Tracy

That reminded me of a story.

A few years ago the game warden came across a guy who had two northern loons he had shot. The guy pleaded to the warden that he and his family were hungry and they were to be eaten. The warden then let the guy go but in passing he asked "out of curiosity what dose Loon taste like?" The guy says alot like bald eagle. cry laugh

Just kidding funny joke though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tony Chavis
Recent Posts
Poor preachers pond
by Sunil - 06/18/24 08:20 AM
Aqequate filtration system
by Dave Davidson1 - 06/18/24 06:00 AM
Windmill System Suggestions
by Catch N 8 NTex - 06/17/24 10:16 PM
New YP/SMB Pond in MI - Plan